Monday, August 22, 2022

An Open Letter To Isabella Runion As She Begins College

     This is the letter I have been dreading to write for more than 18 years. Today, your dad and I truly become empty nesters.  "It will be great," they say. "Welcome to freedom," they say. "It's your time," they say. You would think I would be more excited for this next phase in our lives. Honestly, I have loved having my family close, and this one...this one is a hard, bitter pill for this momma of three to swallow.  I have already practiced for this experience twice with your sisters. But this time, the chicks really are all out of the nest.!

     With all that being said, I really am thrilled that you chose to land at WVU for your college experience. You know how I feel about being in Morgantown and being a Mountaineer. It has been one of the greatest joys of my life to share my WVU experiences with  you and your sisters over the years. I can still remember the excitement of taking each of you to your first games at Mountaineer Field! My years at WVU were some of the best times of my life, and the people I met there shaped my life in innumerable ways. No experience has guided my life more than the years I spent at WVU. I hope your experience will be the same. (I mean, if you don't cry, every time, you hear the Pride of West Virginia play, I have failed you as a parent!) 

 


     One of my strongest wishes for you is that you get the absolute most you can out of your time at WVU. I will give you much of the same advice that I gave your sisters when they started their college journeys. First of all, make sure that you "lean in" to this experience. Be an active player in your own education. GO TO CLASS! Get to know your professors. They all have office hours, so don't be afraid to go and introduce yourself. You never know when one of these professors can turn into a mentor. Don't miss out on the chance to form these kind of meaningful relationships. Also, make use of the departmental learning centers. I would often do my Math homework at the Math Learning Center or during tutoring hours. That way, if I had any questions, or got stuck on a problem, someone was there to help. It was much more efficient than spending an hour pulling my hair out trying to solve a problem on my own. Collaboration can be key! I also found it helpful to develop a routine when it was time to study. During undergrad, I spent many hours at Wise library, up in the stacks, reading and studying. (I quickly learned that I should bring an extra light bulb, as many of the desk lights didn't work!) I know now that you can reserve study rooms. This would be a great way to spend some time with your friends, and get some work done! Put it on your calendar, and make it part of your "class schedule." 

     Get involved in campus in as many ways as you can. Participate at University sponsored events like, Welcome Week, WVU Up All Night, movie nights and Mountaineer Week. Consider study abroad, if that appeals to you. Take advantage of all the clubs and organizations that are of interest to you.( I love  that you are trying out for the Hip Hop Team!) If you have a passion for something, and there is no campus organization for it, start one! Marra did that with A Moment of Magic. She would be happy to help you navigate the process. (Don't be afraid to reach out to Marra for anything WVU related. She's a WVU expert...and she loves you!)

     Go to as many WVU sports events as you can. I rarely missed a home football or basketball game. I loved the atmosphere!  GO SEE IT ALL!! Soccer, baseball,gymnastics, diving, volleyball...check out some of the Club teams too! Heck, play intramural soccer if you want. I know you still have the eye of the tiger! Ha! 


 

     Be the best you that you can be. That means that you have to take care of yourself. Drink lots of water and don't skip too many meals. Try to get enough sleep. (Naps were definitely a part of my daily schedule!) Pray everyday and go to Mass when you can. Remember to let your light shine! Never feel like you should downplay or hide you talents and accomplishments. Surround yourself with people who want to lift you up and who you want to lift up as well. Recognize that if you give something your best effort, and it doesn't work out the way you would like it to, it was still worth your energy and time.

      Have a great time at WVU and in Morgantown! This is the time of your life! You can party like a rock star (if you want to) and still get the job done in the classroom. It's all about time management and good decision making. Sometimes, that means having to say no. Listen to that little voice inside your head, it's rarely wrong. All work and no play makes for a pretty dull life, but the work still has to get done! With that being said, enjoy being social. Expand your circle. You already have an amazing and supportive friend group in Morgantown (including one of your big sisters). Get to know some people in your dorm, your classes, your major and in dance. Engage and make some connections.

     Back to good decision making. I never felt unsafe at WVU, still you have to be aware of your surroundings. Don't walk around late at night alone. Never leave your cup unattended or accept a drink from someone you don't know, and, for the love of God, never drink and drive, or get into the car with a driver who has been drinking. Uber and Lyft are readily available in Morgantown. I will never complain about an Uber charge to my Paypal. You don't even need to ask. Just book the ride.

     WVU has so much to offer. Get as much out of your experience as you can. Seek out and get that selfie with President Gee! It has become a rite of passage. He is incredibly approachable and easy to find. You can see him at almost every WVU event. He wants to meet you, he has time for you and he wants to be tagged in that photo!

     Your Dad and I could not be more proud of you and the person you have become. We are so excited for you to get all out of college that we did. Go out and do great things, but don't forget to FaceTime your ole' Mom and Dad every now and again!

I could not love you more,

Mom



10 comments: